Re: Need Pointers For Migrating To FDS from NIS

Vadim,
This is a pretty big topic.
Gary Tay has put together some docs that are a great starting point:
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~garyttt/

Sun's docs regarding Solaris clients will also be useful for you:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4556

One other thing:

My goal is to migrate my Solaris and Linux machines onto the AD structure for user, group, hosts, networks and netgroups map use (perhaps other maps later).

If you mean that you will be using AD as your directory server, you won't necessarily need to run a separate directory server like FDS.

Good luck!

Vadim Pushkin wrote:
Hello All;

My current environment is using NIS (not NIS+) on Sparc Solaris 8/10 and x86 Linux, with a separate AD structure. My goal is to migrate my Solaris and Linux machines onto the AD structure for user, group, hosts, networks and netgroups map use (perhaps other maps later).

My questions are:

1. Am I correct in believing that Fedora Dir Server is able to allow me to auth to my AD DC's? Or does FDS only perform as a conduit to the AD structure, either fine by me.

2. What and where do I change to aloow this on my pam.conf on my Solaris and Linux servers?

3.  Where do I get the PAM modules to allow this to work?

4. What additional software must I run on my RH/FC FDS server? Should I, or can I, run two servers in case one fails?

5. Finally, does anyone have any written docs or a site that can help me?

Thanks very much in advance,

.vadim