Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 2:46 PM
Subject: RE:  How to make anonymous SASL work?

I seem quite stuck on getting the first step of setting up
mail authentication.

I have a running directory and Cyrus-SASL installed, but I
can't get the two to communicate properly.

For now I think anonymous access is fine as they are on the
same server.

I tried ldapsearch, but it seems to fail quite basicly:

[root@langham ~]# ldapsearch -D "cn=admin" -w fidelio77 -b
"fashioncontent.com" cn=hvendelbo SASL/EXTERNAL authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Unknown authentication method (-6)
        additional info: SASL(-4): no mechanism available:
[root@langham ~]# ldapsearch -X -Y
SASL/EXTERNAL authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Unknown authentication method (-6)
        additional info: SASL(-4): no mechanism available:

As I understand the message I need to configure some protocol
on the server, but I have no idea where or how??

It looks like you're using the OpenLDAP version of ldapsearch and don't
have SAASL auth set up on the server.

You can either pass the "-x" switch to ldapsearch to use plaintext auth,
ot use the ldapsearch that comes with the directory server (probably in
/opt/fedora-ds/shared/bin).