Re: FDS on RedHat9

Your best option might be to build FDS on RH9.
I'm not sure that the libraries are backward compatible (almost certain they are not).
But a newly built binary should be ok.

Radek Hladik wrote:

I have one old RH9 box which functions as a backup server. I'm periodically backing up DB from primary FDS to it but it would be also nice to have read-only replica for failover there. But I was not able to compile FDS on it as there were some very strange compile errors when compiling libraries for it. I have some ideas how to get it working and I would like to ask for your opinion: 1) Run complete FDS+FC5 in vmware, but I think running extra kernel and daemons will result in unnecessary overhead. On the other hand this should work and as replication can happen only few times per day there should be no big overhead till failover situation. 2) Run FDS binary for FC5/FC4 and copy all required libraries from FC5/4 and force FDS binary to use them. Or I can copy complete installed FC5+FDS somewhere and chroot into it. This should eliminate overhead in option 1 but the 2.4 kernel could be too old for FC5/4 libraries. I can use some RHEL3 binaries and centos installation but I'm afraid of compatibility of next FDS releases with those old OSes.

Do you have any other ideas or is someone running FS on RH9?

Radek

P.S. I'm stuck with RH9 as there is more important service running on this box which requires RH9.