Re: Odd performance problem, server not using indeces

George Daswani wrote:
Hello,

         I have around 350K users in my test directory, and I'm running
into an odd problem with the directory not using indeces for
ldapsearches.

For example, using the following search string

(&(objectClass=organizationalPerson)(employeeNumber=*))

Looking at the console, there's a system index on objectClass (which is
set to equality), there's also an index on employeeNumber (both equality,
and presence).

There are around 5K icasOrgPersons (which can hold the employeeNumber
attribute), the rest can't.
How many entries match (objectClass=organizationalPerson)? If this number is large, then I think what's happening is that the database first looks up how many match this, and says there are too many. Try using icasOrgPerson or reverse the order of the filters.
When the actual search (really slow as if it
was using a full scan) is performed, the access log files shows "notes=U"
meaning that the search was unindexed.  The question is why considering
there were indeces built for the attributes in the search filter?

Thanks.