Host-based access restrictions

I'm wondering - can I use something like netgroups in the LDAP host-based ("host" attribute) for access restriction? I have over 1000 servers and there is no way I can list every combination of user/host explicity.

I have looked at pam_access with LDAP netgroups, which is great but there is one crucial problem - if a user needs temporary access for example to a certain machine and this falls outside of my netgroup definitions then there seems to be no way to allow specific access using pam_access and /etc/security/access.conf, without having to push out over 1000 new copies of this file. I need to be able to grant special access like this on the LDAP server. The only thing I can think of is this in access.conf:

+ @special@@special : ALL

where the "special" netgroup contains nisnetgroup triples like

(user,machine,)

Normally, you don't use both fields in a netgroup triple but this works fine in access.conf because PAM uses the user part when the netgroup is used in the user position of the user@host field and uses the machine part when the netgroup is in the "host" position. I thought this was really nice until I realised that this means that if the "special" netgroup contains several entries like:

(user1,machine1)
(user2,machine2)

Then user2 also gets access to machine1 and user1 gets access to machine 2 because PAM doesn't understand that these netgroup entries are supposed to be kept together - it just parses the user and machine parts completely seperately.

I just need to have one entry in access.conf that will cover special-case creation on the LDAP server but it doesn't seem to be possible, hence I am now looking at the LDAP-based host access thing.

--
Philip Kime
NOPS Systems Architect