Re: New filesystem layout for directory server and admin server files

mj@xxxxxx wrote:

One of the biggest strengths of this software is that it is completely self-contained, which allows much simpler troubleshooting, research and development of administration tools, and testing multiple versions. It is easier to see if a file is missing or has the wrong permissions, and fix it. It is easier to backup and restore. I could go on and on. When an entire network depends on the LDAP infrastructure, these type of things really matter.

This is an argument for compiling critical binaries statically by default (something I wish Redhat would do with RPM, so that upgrading isn't such a mission), but as to the filesystem layout, having a non FHS package on the system means I must partition my system differently just for FDS, which isn't ideal.

I think it would be ideal to include the option for supporting both standalone and FHS, to keep everyone happy.

Regards,
Graham