Re: TLS trace: SSL3 alert write:fatal:unknown CA

fedora-directory-users-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 17:48:00 -0700
From: Jeff Gamsby <JFGamsby@xxxxxxx>

Jeff Gamsby
Center for X-Ray Optics
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
(510) 486-7783

Geeze you guys, these messages could seriously use some trimming.

Richard Megginson wrote:
Jeff Gamsby wrote:
I blew away the server and installed a new one, then I used the setupssl.sh script to setup SSL. The script completed successfully, and the server is listening on port 636, but I'm back to a familiar error:

ldapsearch -x -ZZ -d -1

Listening on port 636 with SSL means you have an ldaps:// listener. The ldapsearch -Z options are for LDAPv3 StartTLS, which is incompatible with (LDAPv2+) ldaps://. Use either ldaps:// or StartTLS, you cannot use both together. This is already noted in the manpages.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on either, but the message "Peer does not recognize and trust the CA that issued your certificate." means that ldapsearch did not verify your LDAP server certificate (Server-Cert). This is usually due to one or both of the following: 1) The value of the cn attribute in the leftmost RDN of the subjectDN in the LDAP server cert is not the fqdn of the LDAP server host, or the client cannot resolve it. 2) The /etc/openldap/cacerts/cacert.asc CA cert is not the cert of the CA that issued the LDAP server certificate (Server-Cert)

No, on the client side this error can only be caused by (2), there is a completely different error message for (1). Also for (1), "client cannot resolve it" is not a consideration; as mandated by RFC2830 the hostname supplied by the user (on the command line) must exactly match the name in the cert CN (or one of the subjectAltNames). No resolution procedures are allowed.

--
 -- Howard Chu