Re: TLS trace: SSL3 alert write:fatal:unknown CA

Jeff Gamsby
Center for X-Ray Optics
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
(510) 486-7783

Richard Megginson wrote:
Jeff Gamsby wrote:

Jeff Gamsby
Center for X-Ray Optics
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
(510) 486-7783

Richard Megginson wrote:
Jeff Gamsby wrote:
I am trying to get FDS 1.0.2 working in SSL mode. I am using a OpenSSL CA, I have installed the Server Cert and the CA Cert, can start FDS in SSL mode, but when I run
ldapsearch -x -ZZ  I get TLS trace: SSL3 alert write:fatal:unknown CA.
Did you follow this - http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:SSL
I did, but that didn't work for me. The only thing that I did this time was generate a request from the "Manage Certificates", sign the request using my OpenSSL CA, and install the Server and CA Certs. Then I turned on SSL in the Admin console, and restarted the server.

When I followed the instructions from the link, I couldn't even get FDS to start in SSL mode.
One problem may be that ldapsearch is trying to verify the hostname in your server cert, which is the value of the cn attribute in the leftmost RDN in your server cert's subject DN. What is the subject DN of your server cert? You can use certutil -L -n Server-Cert as specified in the Howto:SSL to print your cert.

Running cd /opt/fedora-ds/alias ; ../shared/bin/certutil -L -d . -n "server-cert" returns:
certutil-bin: Could not find: server-cert
: security library: bad database.

I can see the Subject DN in "Manage Certificates" --> Server Certs --> Detail
It's the FQDN of the FDS server ( and the OpenSSL CA )

In /etc/ldap.conf, I have put in
TLS_CACERT /path/to/cert
Is this the same /path/to/cacert.pem as below?
Yes
TLSREQCERT allow
ssl on
ssl start_tls

If I run
openssl s_client -connect localhost:636 -showcerts -state -CAfile /path/to/cacert.pem

It looks OK

Please help

Thanks