password aging

I'm having some trouble with students who use my lab being forced to change their password every time they log in. I should say that to create the user accounts in fedora directory, I used LdapImport and used /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to create the new accounts. In addition, we've been using NIS to authenticate prior to the import of user accounts, so there probably was some difference in passwords. I thought that they could change their password and that the aging of the password would be updated correctly, but this doesn't seem to be happening.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
steve

--
Steve Strong