Re: Administrating Fedora directory Server through commands

Hariharan R wrote:
Hai,

 I am using Fedora Directory Server 7.1 on CentOS 4.3 (SMP kernal).

 Now i want to administer FDS from the command line.so i am using
 ldapadd,ldapmodify,ldapdelete ... commands.

 I have no problem in adding an organizational unit or user to the
 directory.

 I am getting problem while try to add a new root suffix to the FDS from
 the command line.

 This is the process i am following to add a new root suffix

 1) The ldif file (root.ldif) contains the following attributes
    corresponds to the root entry

        dn: cn="dc=newroot,dc=com",cn=mapping tree,cn=config
        objectclass: dcobject
        objectclass: top
        objectClass: domain
        objectclass: extensibleObject
        objectclass: nsMappingTree
        nsslapd-state: backend
        nsslapd-backend: newdb
        cn: dc=newroot,dc=com
        dc: newroot

 2) Then i am using ldap add command to add the root suffix which is
    defined in the ldif file(root.ldif)

        ldapadd -x -D "cn=Directory Manager" -w testingdir -f root.ldif

    This command is get executed perfectly.Then i opened the FDS console.
    Perhaps there is no error in the log file too.

 3) Click Directory server > configuration

I have the entry for "newroot" and "newdb" is the database assigned to
    the database.
But I think you did not define the database "newdb". See http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/entry_dist.html#18238

You should add an entry that looks like this:

dn: cn=newdb,cn=ldbm database,cn=plugins,cn=config

objectclass: extensibleObject

objectclass: nsBackendInstance

nsslapd-suffix: dc=newroot,dc=com

4) Then If i open the Directory server > directory window i am not having
    a directory entry for the newly created root suffix.
Finally, you need to add an actual _entry_. The directory browser window only shows you entries. Defining a suffix and a database does not actually add any data/entries to the newly created suffix. You need to add an entry like this:
dn: dc=newroot,dc=com
objectclass: top
objectclass: domain
dc: newroot

I don't have any problem if i create the root suffix from the GUI mode.
The console does a lot of this behind the scenes.

 What could be the problem?

 Can anyone pls help me to get rid of the problem?

 Is there is any documentation available for administrating the Fedora
 Directory server from the command line with trouble shooting
 methods.(Now i am using Fedors DS administration guide.)

 Thanks in advance.

---
Regards,
Hariharan.R