Directory Express...customize? separate/relocate?

I have been looking at Directory Express pages on our new setup. Very nice! I have a few questions:

I'll need to make a few schema extensions for some attributes that will be set on a do-it-yourself basis (using Directory Express, I hope). Is there any sort of guide to customizing Directory Express in such a way that changes will be preserved during future upgrades? I've rummaged aound in /var/opt/fedora-ds/clients/dsgw to get a sense of the layout, but didn't know if there was a systematic guide of sorts.

(I could probably figure this next one out with more rummaging, but one of you might provide a quick "Don't even bother!" answer)...

Is it feasible to move/separate the Directory Express components so that they could run on a server separate from the admin server? What I have in place is an intranet server running under PubCookie. My thought is to put "DE" under this existing PubCookie regime and take advantage of stuff like REMOTE_USER vars. Just not sure if that is doable. I also started to look at moving the Fedora-DS httpd.worker under PubCookie, but that would seem more dubious.

Thanks!

Jim

--