Re: Winsync: UIDs

Hartmut Wöhrle wrote:

Hallo everyone,

I have a question connected with Winsync from Windows NT.
When I do the replication (works fine now!) I recieve all Users and the uids in capital letters. Now I want to change them into lower case. ldapmodify refuses to change, and when I try to change it by the gui (not the best way with about 2000 users.... but ok for a test :) , I get the message "Unkown error with naming attribute" and in addition the entrydn and the uid were changed, but the dn: uid=....
Hi, this sounds interesting. I think it may be simply passing through the character case it gets from NT.

The reason you can't change the uid value is that it's part of the DN (a distinguished attribute). If you changed it you'd be changing the DN which is equivalent to renaming the entry, and that has to be done with the MODDN LDAP operation rather than the regular MOD operation.

To be honest I'm not sure what will happen if you change the uid attribute on the FDS side. It may still confuse the sync code. Perhaps we should understand a) where exactly the upper case is coming from and b) if and how it can be fixed in the sync code or in NTDS.

I wonder if you could post a complete example entry here (the LDIF) please ?