Re: Importing Linux Users

http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:MigrateToLDAP

Also, check out www.padl.com http://www.padl.com/OSS/MigrationTools.html

Scott Miller wrote:

Hello list,

Here's my situation. I currently use Sendmail as my mail transport, and also have imap capabilities. Recently, we purchased a barracuda Spam Firewall to help reduce the amount of spam our customers receive. We have 5 domains on our mail server, so basically any user has 5 available e-mail addresses (ya, not the best way to do it, but that's how it was when I got here). With the barracuda, in order for it NOT to create a new spam account (or box) for each of the 5 e-mail addresses our customers have, it requires our mail server to run LDAP. Well, OK - if that's what it needs.

In my search for building an LDAP server, I came across the Fedora Directory Server Project. Since I'm in the process of upgrading (replacing) my servers with Fedora Core 4 (forklift upgrade), I was hoping this might just be a perfect fit.

Now here's my question. Before I start in on this task, is there an "easy" way to import normal linux users into the LDAP database on the new server? Granted, I've only spent a few days researching this question, and have come up blank everywhere I've looked. The answer is probably out there somewhere, so if someone could possibly point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appriciated. I'm hoping to stay away from entering the information for each and every customer we have.

Thank You,
Scott Miller