Re: ShadowPassword / ShadowExpire

I am pretty sure I found the solution here:

http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:PAM

Towards the bottom it mentions a couple of ldap.conf entries that are necessary along with activating the pw policy.

Will post if any oddness is discovered.

Thanks!
--jim

Jim Summers wrote:

Jeff Medcalf wrote:

Jim,

I haven't tried this on FDS, but given that it has the same base as SunONE and the old iPlanet, I would assume it works the same as those directory servers. In that case, and assuming that you are using pam_ldap, go ahead and use the password policy: pam_ldap knows about it and works correctly with it.

I am a little confused on what is actually being used. I see the following entries in machines here:
Dec 19 09:34:22 XXXXXX sshd[14463]: PAM rejected by account configuration[13]: User account has expired Dec 19 09:36:21 XXXXXX sshd[14515]: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server... Dec 19 09:36:21 XXXXXX sshd[14515]: nss_ldap: reconnected to LDAP server after 1 attempt(s)

So I am not sure as to whether pam_ldap or nss_ldap is in use. I guess they could be one in the same?

and system-auth has:
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_ldap.so use_first_pass
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

So I would think it is pam_ldap.

I am going to double-check the pam config to make sure it is still following recommendations.

Oh, and if you are using the pam_ldap that comes with Solaris, you might try switching to the open source version: the Sun version is terribly buggy and horrible.

Will do.  The majority are linux clients.