Re: TLS for dummies

Howard Chu wrote:
My thinking is that this somehow has something to do with the TLS_CACERT
in /etc/openldap/ldap.conf (the certificate for the client).

In general most folk don't need client certs, but AFAIK the openldap ldapsearch _requires_ that you present a client cert.

Wrong. Client certs are only needed if you want to do certificate-based client authentication, and the default settings do not require them.

That's good to know. I remember spending a few days trying to persuade OL to do a non-cert-based-auth connection and ultimately failing, but I'm pleased to hear that it can.

Of course, the TLS_CACERT directive, as the name suggests, is for setting the path to the CA cert, and by default it *is* required. I think your terminology is imprecise here, so that may be confusing the issue.

Yes, I was reading the OP's description: 'certificate for the client', and not the config directive name
which as you point out was actually for the CA cert.