Re: Server Side Sorting limitations/configuration

Thierry Lanfranchi wrote:

Sorry for the slow answer, I've been busy reinstalling my dev platform :)

I don't get any error message while using FDS's version of ldapsearch with "-x" option to enable server side sorting, and can't enable debugging as I'd have to recompile the ldapsearch utility with LDAP_DEBUG defined. As I don't have access to all necessary librairies for now, it's not an option.

There's no error message in any of the three logs (access, error and audit).

I can confirm though that when I do a one-letter substring search, the search seems as slow as an unindexed search, so I guess you're right about oneletter searches being non-indexed.

Do you think there is anything I can do to enable oneletter indexes ?

No, the minimum for substring searches is 3 characters, or 2 at the beginning or end of a word.

Thanks in advance,
Thierry Lanfranchi
(PS: Sorry if my english's not that good, trying to do my best as it's not my mother tongue)

Pas de probleme.

David Boreham a écrit :

Thierry Lanfranchi wrote:

Is that "not sorting on single letter search" feature wanted (maybe even RFC stuff that I haven't read yet), and if so, can I enable sorting even in that case, or is it to be considered a strange behavior and I need to look for more informations in order to solve it ?

Yes. One clue might be that a single letter substring search filter will not be indexed (while a leading two-letter substring search filter will). An unindexed search may not be sortable : it's been a long time since I messed with this part of the code and without reading it again I'm not sure. Anyway, if you made the sort control mandatory in your search, the server should respond with an error in the case that it's unable to sort. Did you see any response control with
information like that in it ?