jre1.5 and other "bugs"

Hi
I've been trying to get the directory server v1.0 working all day.
First my problem was that jre1.5 wasn't working right, it would just
hang with the splash screen telling me to log in, and no window to enter
username and password. I'd like to help troubleshoot it, but I do not
know what logs to look at and whatnot. This is on a system running a SMP
kernel, however, it didn't work in a regular kernel either.
That's my first question, where are the logs, or what debugging tools
could I use for this job?

Then there's this:
I replaced jre1.5 with j2re1.4 and it started "normally", which means
that I at least got to the login screen, but it gave me an error that
claimed the server hadn't started. And I had indeed ran ./setup/setup
and chosen what I thought to be correct values.
However, I had used the hostname that I regularly use, Embla, as a
hostname, and I had gotten this message when the script finished:
"Fatal Slapd The required field AdminDomain is not present in the
install info file.
ERROR: missing data from answer cache"

I reran the script, and this time I didn't use Embla for a hostname.
That got me a bit further, because I was given these messages, that I
didn't get before:
"[slapd-localhost]: [03/Dec/2005:15:05:21 +0100] - slapd started.
Listening on All Interfaces port 389 for LDAP requests

NMC_Status: 0
NMC_Description: Success! The server has been started.

Can't open /opt/fedora-ds/bin/slapd/admin/scripts/template-migrateTo4:
No such file or directory
Start Slapd Starting Slapd server reconfiguration.
Info Slapd No old nsperl references found"

After I got that message, I was still getting no server running, after
running start-admin.
So I stopped it, using stop-admin and then stopped slapd with
stop-slapd, I started slapd and then start-admin, and now it works! I
can log in and everything.
Now to my question: Are these bugs that should be reported, or are they
merely user errors? And how can I set it to use my hostname Embla?
Thanks in advance
Jon