Re: question about schema file keywords

speedy zinc wrote:

But I still can't figure out the differences between
a STRUCTURAL and an AUXILIARY objectclass. Besdies the
definition, they look similar to me.

It's part of the X.500 data model.

Every directory object can and must have only one structural object class, and the other classes on that object have to be auxiliary. You can only instantiate new objects with structural classes.

Example of an object:

structural class "car"
auxiliary class  "europeanCar"
auxiliary class  "raceCar"

europeanCar and raceCar are specializations (subclasses) of car.

Finally, FDS/RHDS do not enforce so-called "structural integrity". They will allow you to e.g. create an entry which contains multiple structural classes. OpenLDAP versions 2.1 and later prohibit this and there is no way to disable it, even if you try. A server should give the administrator the possibility of disabling structural integrity checking if desired...

I recommend following the rules, even if FDS doesn't enforce them.

--
mike