Re: numerical prefix of schema file

speedy zinc wrote:

so what does the numerical prefix mean?

It is for loading order.

I just know that if I change the schema from the console, it ends up in
99user.ldif.

You should avoid adding schema from the console or over-the-wire, because it will be handled in this way, and there are some problems with using 99user.ldif, e.g. if you need to install version-controlled schema to your servers then this technique will definitely not work.

If I add my own schema files, which value do I use for
the prefix?

You can use whatever you want, even numbers that are already used. The schema loader looks at the number first, then the alphabetical order, e.g. 50abc.ldif would be loaded before 50myschema.ldif.

The whole purpose behind the loading order is for dependencies, so if you write an objectclass in myschema.ldif and you specify it as a subclass to an objectclass which exists in "25somecoolschema.ldif", then you will want to number "myschema.ldif" with a prefix higher than 25 or if you use 25 then you need to start the filename with something alphabetically later than "somecoolschema".

All of this is documented in the Deployment Guide:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/deploy/7.1/schema.html#17755

BR,
Mike