Re: Question about Kerberos and FDS

speedy zinc wrote:

Thanks for replying.

--- Rich Megginson <rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Or does that
mean I need to setup a kerberos server and use RHDS
as
the backend for user information?

Yes.  When you use kinit to acquire your ticket, you
can use that ticket to authenticate to the directory server.

So, if I understand what you're saying, the directory
server is acting as the TGS?
No. You have to set up the usual Kerberos TGS. The directory server merely uses the tickets, like any other server/service.

I'm going to setup a kerberos tonight. Which one works
better with FDS? MIT or Heimdal?
I'm not sure. The instructions we have in our docs are geared towards MIT, but Heimdal may work just fine.

And this one:
- Impersonation (proxy) for multi-tier client
applications.

Could someone explain what does it mean and how can
it
be used?

Sure.  This is most often used with web apps or
other apps that set up a pool of connections to the directory server. Each connection in the pool is bound as a proxy user. When a real user wants to authenticate, the proxy connection passes the real user's bind credentials to the directory server using the proxy auth control.

Oh, ok. I was thinking about something else :)
It can also mean chaining. You can set up the directory server to use another directory server as a database - what we refer to as a chaining backend or database in our docs. The use of a directory server to act as a "front-end" to another directory server is also called a proxy.

sz