Re: strange problem with group of more than 2000 users

thanks
just another question
could it be a problem with the timers ( ns_search_limit and ns_bind_limit )
of ldap.client ?
basile

George Holbert wrote:

Basile,
This might be a limitation of the client operating systems, and not the directory server. I believe the maximum size for a group in Solaris 8 is 4096 characters, regardless of whether the group is coming from /etc/group, LDAP, or wherever else.

I'm not sure what the limit is for recent Linuxes or Solaris > 8, but it may well also be around 4096 chars.

So, while your LDAP directory is capable of storing much larger groups, you may need to break them up into chunks to appease your client OSes.

-- George

basile au siris wrote:

hi
i have fds 7.1 on solaris 9 and users and group stored in the directory
all works fine except for a group of more than 2000 users
when i use id or getent system did not recognize the group
maybe it s not a fds problem but if someone can give me an idea
thanks
basile