Re: How mature is FDS?

Alexander Stagun wrote:

Hi,

I am currently evaluating different Directory Server software which will
replace some part of our production NIS/Samba based authentication
system. Our first tests looked really promising except for one bug we
encountered: deleting a view crashes the ns-slapd process hard (bugzilla
bug #164610).

Now I have to admit, I am a bit unsure regarding the maturity of the FDS
project. I thought we are dealing with the good old and mature Netscape
iPlanet sources here, but I can't believe such a bug could go unnoticed.
Virtual views are a relatively new feature and haven't been used that much. Especially not in the way that you have reproduced the bug. By the way, how many iterations does it usually take to make the server crash with your ViewTest.java?

So I'd really like to know, is there anyone outside who uses FDS in a
sort of mission critical environment? Is FDS on par with NDS or Sun's DS
regarding stability and scalability?
FDS 7.1 is exactly the same as Netscape Directory Server 7.1, just a continuation of the line from Netscape 4.x -> iPlanet/Sun 5.0 and 5.1 -> Netscape 6.x. There are many large, high volume deployments of Netscape DS 6.x, which is the last major release. FDS 7.1 is the same with some new features and bug fixes. We are now seeing customers rolling out deployments of DS 7.0 (released late last year), and we should soon be seeing 7.1 deployments as well. Most of our large enterprise customers require a lot time to roll out deployments of new versions, usually due to their stringent qa/release procedures.

Regarding the bug we filed - is there anything we could do in order to
help fixing that issue?
How urgent is this?

Kind Regards,

Alex