Re: Re: [Fedora Directory Users] Winsync woes

If I may be so bold as to take advantage of your knowledge and kindness - when I created the Windows Sync Agreement, I specified the DS subtree as ou=People,dc=headquarters,dc=mydomain,dc=com, and the Windows subtree as cn=People,dc=headquarters,dc=mydomain,dc=com. When the sync completed, all Windows users and groups ended up in the FDS People subtree. How would I get Windows groups to populate the FDS gorups subtree, and only users to populate the People subtree?
In this current release it's not possible to do exactly what you want
(at least I can't think of an easy way to to it). The problem is that there
are two conventions for storing users vs. groups in the DIT: a) put
users and groups in the same container and b) put users in one
container and groups in a sibling container. You can deploy either
convention in both AD and FDS, but in order to have an easy life
in terms of Winsync, you need to use the _same_ convention on
both sides.  Note that the fact that FDS has ou=People and ou=Groups
is simply a convention in the sample data loaded on request at install time.
You can easily adopt the same convention as is commonly used with AD:
put users and groups in the same container. (AD didn't exist when
we invented the ou=People, ou=Groups convention at Netscape way back).

You _could_ defined two sync agreements : one to sync users and
the other to sync groups. Problem is that you would be pointing both
at the same subtree on the AD side and I believe that bad stuff would
happen as a result (there's no way to tell an agreement to only sync
groups, for example).