Re: syslog support?

Kevin Myer wrote:

Are there any plans to add syslog support to augment the existing logging
mechanisms in FDS?
We've talked about it in the past, but it's not a high priority for us right now. That doesn't mean we wouldn't be happy to take some patches in from the community :-)

It would be pretty easy to add access logging - everything would be logged at the same severity level (e.g. debug or info, possibly notice). However, full access logging in a high volume production environment would likely bring syslog to its knees, unless syslog has good buffering and log rotation facilities. I believe NSPR has support for syslog.

The problem with error logging is that we do not use a severity system like syslog requires. We really only have 2 levels now - error and debug. We would need to go through our existing code and "triage" the logging statements that use SLAPI_LOG_ERROR to assign them severities. Then we would need to enhance the logging API to pass the severity value (e.g. a new function slapi_log_error_sev or something like that).

Kevin