Re: Advantages of using FDS vs OpenLDAP?

Sam Tran wrote:
On 7/8/05, Kevin Myer <kevin_myer@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I can piggyback off of this question and ask another: advantages of using
RedHat Directory Server vs. Fedora Directory Server?

The only thing I can see we get with RedHat Directory server is
official support
(and at the prices I was quoted per year, for two servers, I could hire half a
person, although academic pricing wasn't available at the time :)

The situation I'm in is one where I have an aging directory infrastructure,
going all the way back to the days when the Directory Server was branded with
the Netscape brand :)  Its been on my TODO list to upgrade to something, for
the past two years, but I never got around to migrating to OpenLDAP, for a
number of reasons.  With the release of RedHat/Fedora Directory Server, it was
a matter of installing it, adding a few schema modifications, exporting data
from the old server, and importing into the new.  Simple as pie.  I've been
running with that in a test environment for a month, no problems.  And I'm
ready to plan out a full scale conversion and setup multimaster replication.

Hi Kevin,

I am using OpenLDAP in our environment. I've been thinking to migrate FDS.

I was wondering how FDS compares with OpenLDAP in terms of performance.

They are similar, especially when using recent versions of OL (2.2.24 or later) with the back-bdb (BDB 4.2.52 + patches).  It seems that the default configuration (and auto-configuration functions) with FDS make it easier to get good performance "out of the box".  OpenLDAP requires a bit more digging and tweaking.  I would say that there is no reason to choose one over the other strictly on performance alone - both servers are "fast enough" for almost any application.
If you don't mind me asking how big is your current LDAP
infrastructure in terms of entries and number of connections/sec.? How
well your test FDS performs compare to your current LDAP server?

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.
Sam