Re: [Fedora-directory-users] Ideas for fds

jclowser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

One simple realworld example I run into:
- I want to create a group of people. Lets say I want this to be all people in the engineering department, which is determined by having the value "engineering" in the department attribute of their entry.

I guess by an example I mean the complete application use-case. When you say
you want to create a group, I say 'ok, what do you want to do with that group?'.
e.g. enforce access control to the engineering building doors ? Allow higher
internet bandwidth to engineering staff ? Something like that ?

- Further, I want to set up a webpage in Apache that only the engineering group can see. Apache doesn't deal with groupOfURL style lists, as far as I know, so this doesn't work. (groupOfURLS being ok for finding a list of members, but lousy for determining if a user is a (dynamic) member of it) Nsroles would probably work for apache, but I don't think JES/Netscape messaging supports nsroles as a means for defining mail groups - its not really appropriate for determining lists of users like this.

This is an interesting one, because applications like apache were the
target for roles/cos. Do you know what Apache does support for
detemining page access via LDAP ?