Re: [Fedora-directory-users] Fedora Directory Replica of Sun One Directory

David Boreham wrote:
Bill Bradford wrote:
On 6/3/05, David Boreham <david_list@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Replication protocol compatibility with Sun isn't a supported or tested
feature, but it should work provided Sun haven't changed their
product to make it incompatible since the two codelines diverged.

Anyone know exactly what the differences are between Fedora DS and
Sun's current offering?  We just rolled out Sun's DS, but if I can get
the exact same functionality out of FedoraDS, I may switch to that
instead and save the $$$ licensing fee.

Actually, after posting I remembered that there is some 'official' support
for what's called migration from some version(s) of Sun DS. Migration
does include support for progressive upgrade of replicated servers,
which in turn implies support for inter-product replication. Someone else
will need to say what the exact level of support is and which versions
because I don't have that information to hand.
There are some migration Perl scripts included with Fedora DS that may be of use.  But they have not been updated for Sun DS 5.2.
Now, to answer your question the two products have essentially the
same replication functionality. AFAIK DS7.1 has a superset of all
Sun's current product replication functionality.
Sun made some changes to their replication protocol for 5.2 to make it work better over a WAN.  I'm not exactly sure what they did, but it might not be implemented the same way we did ours for 7.1.  However, if you don't do WAN replication, then it probably doesn't make any difference.

Did you want to know the differences between Sun DS and Fedora DS in replication functionality or in all areas?  There are a few differences - Sun DS includes native support for DSMLv2, while we provide support in the form of a gateway.  Sun DS 5.2 service pack 3 supports ModDN with new superior, Fedora DS only supports ModRDN (i.e. rename in place).  Other than those two relatively minor differences, the two products are almost identical in functionality.