Re: Fedora on EEE?

Dan Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2008-10-30 at 18:06 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
On Wednesday, 29 October 2008 at 22:44, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
- Xandros (on my Asus EEE, and only because I haven't had time to find something better; how's Fedora on those?)
Fedora works great on those. I'm happily running F10 since snap2.
All I needed was an akmod from rpmfusion (rt2860sta driver) and
a pm quirk to re-enable screen after resume.
Well, it chokes on my WPA.

Because the driver is the vendor driver, has not been cleaned up for the
quality standards of the kernel, does not properly implement wireless
extensions, and will _never_ go upstream because it includes its own
802.11 stack.

Effort should be directed towards the rt2x00 project which is writing
the correct upstreamable mac80211-based driver for these cards.

I am fully aware of this and from what I saw on the kernel list, even Linus is hit by this lack of this driver (he owns an Eee PC 901). AFAIK, the estimation for a proper driver in the upstream kernel is for 2.6.29, that should be Fedora 11, next spring.
Until then, the akmod from Rpmfusion seems like the best temporary option.