Re: X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Dan Nicholson wrote:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 6:44 AM, shmuel siegel
<fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dan Nicholson wrote:
Why is it significant what tty any program runs on? Isn't the
assumption that getty will be on tty1 just as faulty as the assumption
X will be on tty7?

--
Dan

Because you are changing a user interface. What is going to happen when the
user switches to tty1 and nothing happens? The basic logic of putting X on
tty7 is to get it out of the way. Humans will use the lowest numbered ttys
first. Besides breaking existing documentation, including advice on various
forums, is not a good idea.

The basic logic of X starting on tty7 is because it was the first open
VT because getty is already running on tty1-6. I can show you the code
in the X server where it picks the first available VT. This is just
changing it so that X will start on tty1. What interface is that
breaking? A broken assumption that tty1 == !X?

--
Dan

Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, the code did that deliberately? Maybe someone thought that it would be a good idea for usable consoles numbers to start at 1? Or someone thought that once people started down a certain path with conventions, it shouldn't be changed unless the people saw a real benefit. I don't think that it is a broken assumption that I should know where my usable consoles are. Forcing the user to guess where the console is is a broken interface. Maybe this cartoon will make the point http://www.lesher.ws/queryinterface.html.