Re: Sendmail still default?

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

[...]
the milter capability lets you extend it with features that don't
share the full permissions of the main process yet can interact in
real time during delivery.
Milter is supported by alternatives too
They pretend to, but won't actually run complex milters like MimeDefang.

Postfix will: http://www.mimedefang.org/kwiki/index.cgi?Milter
Milter and Postfix

The Postfix MTA implemented partial Milter support in version 2.3 and more
complete support in 2.4. See http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html for
details. MIMEDefang 2.63 works with Postfix.
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting - that doesn't seem to be generally known. I hadn't seen it mentioned on the MimeDefang list. Maybe it is just because the distributions stable enough to be used as a mail server don't include 2.4 yet.

Not that I particularly want to shoot ambulances, but those are not
good arguments.
Sorry, but I don't see any counterargument here. The alternatives are all worse.

Postfix is not worse. I'd argue that's it's better in every respect,
but I guess you wouldn't listen anyway and I'm a bit short on time.

It's worse at backwards compatibility. Fedora seems to assume that their users don't already have something working, so maybe that's not a concern to anyone here. If it shipped with a decked-out, well tested setup already integrated with MimeDefang/clamd/spamassassin it might be enough of an improvement to switch.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx