Re: compat-python, Zope...

Hi Till!

Till Maas wrote:
On Tue October 14 2008, Oliver Falk wrote:

So. Are there reasons, why there are no older Python version available?
If we would have it, we could also package Zope/Plone...

The two main reasons I remember are

1) The fear of bug reports because of users running the old python version for software that requires the new one

Hm. This could only happen, if someone would use /usr/bin/python23 or /usr/bin/python2.4, instead of /usr/bin/python. It's very unlikely this happens by accident - I think... However. I do understand that fear a bit.

2) The old python versions do not get security updates

Python 2.3 latest update was on March 11, to version 2.3.7, so this seems to be still developed/supported.

Python 2.4 lastest update was also on March 11, to version 2.4.5, so this is also still developed/supported.

But of course, security flaws are likely first found in latest versions and it's unsure, if they do find their way into older releases....

So all effort regarding this is best spent on porting Zope to newer python versions.

I would say the same... BUT: I know the Zope developers are trying this since a long time already and haven't made much progress - it seems. I'm happy they do support Python 2.4 already with their latest Versions. There's also the problem, that Python versions are a a moving target. Eg. October 1: Release of Python 2.6. What does that mean? Fedora Rawhide will soon include this - I guess. So as soon as you have ported Zope to support Python 2.5, you have 2.6 everywhere. And as soon as you have ported Zope to support Python 2.6, there's likely Python 3 :-)

Also, since I'm not an enthusiastic and smart Python developer, this sounds quite impossible for me to do...

The only thing I *want*, is to have Zope/Plone and it's deps in Fedora.

We have a lot of Debian servers here, because Zope/Plone works out of the box... You understand I want to get rid of these boxes :-)

-of