Re: Status of libtool 2.2.X?

Adam Jackson wrote:
Sun cc is pretty similar, but solaris has gcc installed well over half
the time anyway.  *BSD and OSX are all gcc, Windows is effectively gcc
for open source projects, and there are no other operating systems.

Huh? There's OSF, HP-UX, and AIX, all of which I still deal with.

Most of the complexity in libtool (and autotools in general) is to
support systems that simply are not worth supporting and that
practically speaking don't exist anymore.  I'm being slightly flip in
saying 'gcc -shared' but really not by much.  Honestly for any fringe
platform the correct thing to do is port gcc/binutils/gmake first.

Porting gmake is easy, porting binutils/gcc is hard and not likely to work with the system libraries. And people sometimes use other compilers (e.g. icc) even when gcc is available.

--
Matthew
C++ is for people who want to be able to not just shoot themselves in the foot, but do it with a rocket launcher. -- Igor Peshansky