Re: Running Xvfb during a package build -- good idea?

On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 18:13 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> Anyhow, Wine needs an X server, although it doesn't really use it for
> anything.  To provide one, I'm using Xvfb like this:

Hmmm, I could have sworn Wine can run console Win32 apps without an X
server. In fact, I just tried it, a simple hello world app runs just
find on a vconsole with no accessible X server. Though I notice trying
to run a GUI app fails:

$ DISPLAY="" wine ./gtk-demo.exe
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set
correctly.
Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set
correctly.
err:ole:apartment_createwindowifneeded CreateWindow failed with error 2
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address
0x6c37ea4e (thread 0019), starting debugger...
[etc etc]

Are the unit tests GUI for some reason? I'd advise patching them to be
console only...

-mwindows doesn't seem to make a difference. Wine seems to wait for the
app to actually open a window regardless of the subsystem set in the EXE
headers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/90493