Re: please deactivate services by default!

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 19:05 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
Log files tend to contain stuff like passwords typed in the wrong box so
we shouldn't casually point mail off box. Also a lot of mail from cron,
logging etc will be mail to explain your internet connection is down or your
email couldn't be forwarded ..

Which does no good if we don't actually lead people to read this mail,
one way or another.  Right now we just hope that they figure out some
how to start collecting root's mail before it fills up filesystem.

Sorry for jumping in the discussion; as a user of multiple distros and of multiple versions of each distro,
I feel this point terribly sensible.

Figuring out what's the right way(TM) to get root mail on one distro is not exactly a cakewalk, and it requires usually some sysop skills that are not always readily available to the mean desktop user. And even for developers (as I am) and power users, it's a annoying waste of time.

When you switch distros or you find newer versions of the same distro having different policies on this topic, unless your business with Linux is having fun in tweaking the system config, you easily give up with a "oh well, I have 250GB hd, I'll figure out how to dump this trash before filling it up, eventually".

Pitifully, the vast majority of distro maintainers ARE guys who have lots of fun in tweaking system configs...

I think it's high time for everyone else to have an easy desktop-accessible place from where to check for sensible logs, with a flashlight on the taskbar when some critical warning is issued and with sensible self-cleanup policy...

Bests,
Giancarlo.