Re: please deactivate services by default!

Christoph � wrote:

(What is the symbol in your name supposed to be, incidentally? Thunderbird is rendering it as a ? in a diamond.)

So Joe User, what are you doing with that mail? Is it just dropped
in /var/spool...? Then you probably only want a /usr/bin/sendmail binary
that does so. But you do not need an smtp daemon then. If you want that
mail to be routed over your network (or to other networks) you'll
probably configure that after a clean install - and notice that you have
to enable that daemon.

The original mail stated "The desktop image no longer installs sendmail by default."

It seems to me there is a great deal of confusion in this thread as to what exactly that means. One interpretation is that this means local mail no longer works. This would be a problem.

Another is that I merely lost the ability to use my own box as an SMTP first-hop relay for internet-bound mail. This is probably less of a problem, since if I hit 'send' in Thunderbird and get back an error that localhost did not accept the connection, I will probably notice very quickly that I might now need to install a daemon. As long as this doesn't affect important things like cron/logwatch/smartctl/etc that might have no other way of notifying the user that something is wrong, this should be okay.

If someone could clear this up, it would help.

--
Matthew
"You know what Microsoft's problem really is? They've lost the ability to feel ashamed." -- Pamela Jones (Groklaw)