Re: recover from broken yum transaction

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 01:06:24PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
Openly said, based on my experience with my i586, I don't buy this.
Usually, the memory requirements introduced other applications are
magnitudes above that of yum.

My impression is that our lack of swap really hurts us here; on most
systems, it's possible to swap some pages (dirty or clean) at relatively
fixed cost and keep going. We _suspect_ (but have not yet proven) that
on XOs, under memory pressure, we start thrashing code pages (which can
be unmapped since they are clean but which must be de-compressed in
order to be remapped) and eventually OOM when we finally receive an
allocation that cannot possibly be satisfied.

However I am not sufficiently familiar with OPLC to be able to further
comment on this.

If you would like to become sufficiently familiar with XOs to comment
further, it can be easily arranged, either through our Developer's
Program [1] or through a renewed G1G1 effort scheduled for November [2].

Please consider it -- we could use your help and it's a great way to
help OLPC get better at doing things the Fedora way.

Michael

[1]: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Contributors_program
[2]: sneak preview; more information to follow in coming weeks