Re: standby and cd discovery

Nils Philippsen wrote:
On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 13:08 +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:

Whenever I put my thinkpad to sleep (standby), with a cd in the drive
and resume, that cd pops up as a folder as if I inserted it. Thats annoying. After the third standby/resume cycle I _know_ whats on
that disc!
Does anyone know if this is _really_ a bug or how to fix it (if its
fixable it should propably be fixed in the release version)?

I would say this is a bug. Suspending a machine should just "pause" the
system and the behaviour afterwards should be the same as if you hadn't
suspended the machine at all.

Not in all respects.

A common usecase is you sit at place A connected to WLAN A, suspend the box, move it, and resume it at place B. It does not make sense now to try sending to WLAN A for a minute (which feels like an eternity), and only then consider that we might want to look for other WLANs or wired LANs to connect to.

You'd want the resume to trigger action much more quickly.

In the case of storage media and media drives however, I'd guess there should be unique drive and medium/filesystem identifiers somewhere which, when they are discovered to be the same after the resume as before the suspend, could easily just prevent the medium from being detected as "new".

--
Hans Ulrich Niedermann