Re: NetworkworkManger and network based filesystem /usr

Jeff Law wrote:
Bill Nottingham wrote:
Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede@xxxxxx) said:
But there is a catch, hal and NetworkManager are currently under /usr which could be on a network based fs itself. So hal and NetworkManager will need to be moved to /bin and /lib[64], or alternatively we could declare that installations where /usr is on a different fs then / are not supported (which might be a good thing todo for F-10 and then move hal + NM for F-11).

Having network /usr and non-network  / isn't really practical long term.
I'm all for not supporting it.
It must die die die. We're far better off making root filesystems sharable and readonly.

I'm not necessarily against stopping supporting this, but it does mean that upgrading won't work on some systems. And it means that "yum upgrading" will fail /catastrophically/ on those machines.

--
        Peter

I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to
change that here and there.
		-- Feynman