Re: Proposal: Split Fedora into sub-distributions

Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 2:09 PM, Lyos Gemini Norezel
<lyos.gemininorezel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Fedora-Development - Generic development platform

DVD has "Development" group with libs and headers and GCC and what not.

Sure... but why not have a distribution just for the developers?

Fedora-Legacy - Everything older than a Pentium 3 (or, alternatively... all
processors slower than ~1.0GHz).

Join XFCE SIG, they create spin with lightweight software.

Fedora-Server - Server distribution... should include all tools necessary to
setup various servers

Again, DVD has "Server" group, and "Storage clustering" and "Virtualization"...

And again... why not create a distribution for Servers?

Fedora-Live - All of the 'Live' distributions should go here... anything
from LiveCDs to LiveUSB images.

Desktop Media, KDE Media. They're also installable on USB

So some of it's already there...
This proposal is far from complete... but I think it is necessary to stop
trying to be a 'everything and the kitchen sink' distribution...
and instead focus more on the groups that use fedora. For instance, the
majority of those on mainstream, are not going to need stuff
like apache, perl, python, etc.

Majority of mainstream can use live media. Making them choose between 10 installation media is pointless

Sure... the majority can use Live media... but unless that is listed as 'mainstream'... most of the average users coming over from the Micro$hit darkside may not understand which they should use.
John Q Public wants to read his email, browse the web, watch porn/internet
videos, etc... not write code, manage a server, or screw
with a command line.

Desktop Media!

Sure... but you have to be careful with 'John Q Public'... this group does not always understand what you wish they did.

By the same token, a developer is not likely to use any gui tool that does
not provide some extreme 'ease of use' case (be honest,
how many of ya'll use vi or vim over gedit?).

Desktop Media after one "yum install gcc eclipse..."

Ok... but again... why not have a distribution aim specifically at developers?

To some extent, these groups already exist, but they are not/cannot be
complete until the distribution is behind each one.
The infrastructure will be difficult to setup, but once done, should be a
breeze to maintain.

You are welcome! =) Join team, contribute, maintain spins you think
are worth it

I'm no coder (as I've mentioned before)... but I'm willing to help where I can.

Lyos Gemini Norezel