Re: No answer to easy bug policy

Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
Jesse Keating wrote:
On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 11:39 -0400, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
Ya'll have mentioned the issue of maintainers drowning in bugzilla spam... and the majority of maintainers seem not to know and/or care how to filter their mail... so why not do it for them? Why not use the list of package maintainers and send a bug report only to those who are maintainers for said package? (This can be easily modified to add the list of CCs to those included in the bug report list) A.) This would cut down on the amount of bugzilla spam each maintainer has to sort through B.) This can be an option set in the users preferences that can be turned off if desired.
C.) Will, likely, reduce the amount of time it takes to fix bugs.

I think you misunderstood the problem.  The mails that we are talking
about /are/ the bugzilla mails directed specifically at individuals or
specific mailing lists for that package.  For some maintainers/software
even that is far far too much, across every active Fedora/RHEL variant.

Perhaps it's the fact that I don't have any packages at the moment... but I receive ALL bugzilla list email. Regardless of whether or not I have any interest in it. This is what I meant in my earlier email... people are drowning in bz spam from bugs that aren't even theirs. Perhaps filtering most, if not all of that at the BZ list itself is the best way to solve this. I realize some people have so many packages and/or a few high traffic packages to begin with... but it's a start.
Lyos Gemini Norezel

One other thing that may be a part of this issue...
I receive every bug I submit 3 times.
Once from: bugzilla@xxxxxxxxxx
Once from: fedora-fonts-list@xxxxxxxxxx
and Once from: fedora-package-review-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx

If a developer has 100 packages... that's 300 emails he'll receive if a bug is filed on each package. On a high traffic package... this would quickly lead to a deluge of email. No wonder many ignore such emails. If I got that many emails about bugs for all my packages... I'd reassign my "Bugs" folder in Thunderbird to be '/dev/null', but that's just me.

The issue, as I see it... is too many swamped developers and not enough time to fix issues. The bugzilla fix I propose is only a start in the route to fixing the issues at hand. I like the idea of open ACLs meaning the community of trusted developers can all help in fixing bugs on any package with open ACLs. That, I suspect, will lead to a greatly reduced list of non-fixed "EasyBugs", and, at the same time, reduce the workload of our swamped developers.

Lyos Gemini Norezel