Re: Announcing the Fedora EDU Spin Preview

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Right, which is another "problem".  We _really_ want new Spins to be
part of the release process, which means this should start at F10 if it
wants to be an official spin.

Just to be clear, there's no hard policy in place which would prevent
spin creators to work against the current release and looking to get
it into the kickstart pool and trademark approval.. is there?

As far as I'm concerned, there is no hard policy against working against the current release. If this works well for technical review (kickstart pool) and trademark approval; the kickstart is going in the tree after technical approval to be able to continue development and'll go in the package after the board stamps it Fedora. This at least is how I see it.

I asked Sebastian to send me the kickstart so I can take a glance at it, and he's already requested commit access to the repository. As soon as I see it fits in, he'll get the access and add the kickstart to the repository, from where we can create Feature pages for the spin.

I can understand the need to get things built against the development
tree as early in the pre-release process as possible if the goal is to
have spins as part of the next release..with a hosting commitment for
binaries that comes with that.

For sneak preview kinda-like things, we have the alpha and beta release (in public). Whatever else needs to be previewed can either be shared in private to (fedora?) people interested (with fedora-logos) or in public (with generic-logos). I don't see how this could work confusing for anyone since we all know including packages that are not in Fedora implies you cannot use the trademark, but it would be worthwhile to add it to the guidelines for composing a spin.

In fact I'll propose to the spin sig to have the spin-kickstarts master branch use generic-logos (master branch is for development so basically anyone can do anything there).

-jef

Thanks for sharing your insights, I hadn't thought of generic-logos ;-)

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip