Re: This session is running as a privileged user box?

Doug Ledford wrote:
On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 00:29 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 21:58 -0600, Jerry Williams wrote:
I am the only user most of the time on the box and I know that you
should login as a normal user most of the time.
No, really, what you should do is login as a normal user _all_ of the
time, and use sudo or su to take root access only when you really need
it.

There are valid reasons to log in as root.  Sometimes even always log in
as root (think test machine you wipe out over and over again and root is
the only account that ever exists on the machine

If this was an install-test machine you really don't need to setup configurations like 'do not show me this again' anyway. If its meant to test anything more significant than installation a normal user should be created because you are not testing normal use scenarios if you're logged in as root.

or times when NIS is
down and all the user accounts don't exist temporarily, or times when
NIS is up, but NFS is down and user home directories don't exist).
Regardless, the ability to turn off a nag over something you know well
and understand and accept the risks of doesn't seem to out of the
question to me (although I could also see hiding the knob to turn it off
in some deep foo so that a person can't turn it off without really
knowing what they are doing, which implies maybe they know what they are
doing logging in as they are).

I question whether anyone knows what they are doing when logging in graphically as root... if they know what they are doing they'll be fixing any of those above problems from a virtual terminal, or remotely from a normal user elsewhere. It is never necessary to login to an X session as root, and probably shouldn't even be allowed.

What you're doing is analogous to using a loaded shotgun as a golf club,
and what you're suggesting is that we take the safety off, because it
interferes with your golf game.

Hehehe, if that's how a person wants to play golf.... ;-)

Better not to be the one to caddy for this 'club' user though.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net
 gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29