Re: Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Andrew Haley wrote:

I've explained that the GPL prevents me from sharing original work
that links to both GPL and non-GPL libraries.
And I've explained that it doesn't, and asked you to cite the passage
of the GPL that prevents you from doing it.  You haven't bothered to
do it, and instead decided to keep insisting in this nonsensical
claim.

Actually, he did reply to that, but perhaps you didn't see it.

He had an unfree program (the wattcp library) and GNU tar and
discovered that he wasn't allowed to ship a program that linked
these two together.  He then said, gloriously, "please don't try
to say the problem was cause by those other licenses -
they did not prevent anyone else from getting copies..."  :-)

OK Les, I promise not to say it.  However...

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply here. I could redistribute copies of the other two components - but that's irrelevant since anyone could get them in source anyway (they were only unfree in the reverse way that the GPL redefines free to mean restricted). I could have redistributed the combination if I had started with the original pdtar instead of gnutar.

There is no reasonable interpretation that anything but the GPL restrictions applied along with the changes between the pdtar and gnutar versions restricted distribution of my subsequent modification of the gnutar code. All of the other components were distributable except for my own work to combine them. Of course I was mistaken at the time in thinking that GPL'd code was suitable for re-use and sharing and know better now. At the time I was simply deceived by something that claimed to be free.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx