Re: Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Horst H. von Brand wrote:

[...]

Whether it is a derivative or 'work as a whole' depends on the
relationship of the parts, not temporary physical proximity.
Please state which laws or court decisions lead you to this
conclusion, and
exactly what "relationship" has to be involved here.

I'm not aware of any court ruling.  It is the conclusion I drew from
the FSF legal position regarding RIPEM that lead to the development of
the generally useless fgmp library. It was long enough ago that google
doesn't find many good references, but this one at least describes it:

The FSF position is hardly authoritative here...

But it would be hard to claim that they would not be credible experts on the meaning of the GPL if an authoritative decision is ever necessary on this point.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx