Re: Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
jeff wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
jeff wrote:

"We try to always do the right thing, and provide only free and open source
software." [1]

It's simply not true and the author of that (Rahul Sundaram I think--he writes it everywhere else too)

Sorry. That's not me. Don't blame me unnecessarily. Besides what is the right thing varies depending on the context and is a subjective thing.

Ah, sorry, I took a quick look at the wiki history and saw your name there (but didn't pin down the actual line)

I edit the wiki all the time but that doesn't mean all of the content there is written by me. You have to be more careful about who you attribute the source.

Well I did hedge it with "Rahul Sundaram I think". The edit history is actually lost since the wiki move (which looks soooo much nicer, btw).

I was also thinking about this quote you wrote in lwn:
"Fedora does not develop or use any proprietary software or service and doesn't have a non-free repository either."[1]

You do know that Fedora uses and distributes proprietary software, right? Your repo itself is non-free since it contains non-free software. (And for people arguing for different definitions of "free" the Fedora Overview page links directly to the FSF's definition, so that's what Fedora itself is using.[2])

rahulsundaram on lwn.net:
"Fedora does not even have a non-free repository."[3]

"Fedora doesnt endorse non-free repositories in anyway."[4]

"The Fedora Project builds a world-class Linux operating system,
consisting of entirely free (meaning both zero-cost and full source
code available) software"[5]

"Fedora Project has explicit objectives (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives) to be a Free and open source distribution."[6]

"Kmod's are only going away in the official repository which was only including free and open source code anyway and hence for proprietary drivers the Fedora change makes no difference."[7]

etc....

And that's just under the lwn.net domain...

Also, I wasn't arguing about the "right thing" part of it, but the "provide *ONLY* free and open source software" part.

Reading the whole thing in context helps. We are trying to. We might not be there just yet but we are a doing a hell lot better than most distributions.

Oh I agree. I mean, xandros includes crap like skype, for instance. But it's also quite clear that Fedora *knows* it is distributing plenty of non-free software and they are OK with that--in fact, it's part of policy.

Pissing off your best allies isn't going to achieve your goal.

Well, I wasn't trying to piss you off, but I probably have now, by quoting you to you! sry.

-Jeff

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/277038/
[2] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
[3] http://lwn.net/Articles/274000/