Re: Firefox and Moonlight (Mono) "Free Software" Status?

Les Mikesell wrote:

I disagree with the FSF on just about every point regarding the best ways to encourage the development and use of open source software, but this position on patents is even more bizarre than usual. I can sort-of understand the claim that patent coverage is harder to determine, but in cases where it is obvious, how can restrictions imposed by patents be considered any differently than restrictions imposed by other people's copyrights with respect to whether the GPL can be applied to the work as a whole with its explicit claim of redistribution rights under its own terms?

Unlike copyrights, patents are far from universally enforced. If you want to further clarifications, I suggest you take it with FSF rather than here.

Rahul