Alexandre Oliva wrote:
On May 21, 2008, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So work with upstream to get them removed or pushed to separate
firmware packages.

It's been tried before.  I gather upstream is not interested in
achieving a 100% Free Software kernel tarball.  It's in conflict with
our stated mission.  Where do we go from that point, when upstream is
not cooperative and there is a drop-in alternative.

I think this is a bit heavy-handed. If we take the "make it doable either as built-in or loaded from userspace at runtime, from a second tarball" approach as discussed, I suspect you'll discover that it's less "is not interested in achieving" (by which I assume you meant "is unwilling") and more "doesn't perceive it as useful goal to work on".

Having that virtual package is more pain to maintain than a ks file

Err...  The only person I know who has volunteered to maintain this
package disagrees with this assessment, especially because the ks file
does not even begin to address the longer-term goal of enabling a user
to avoid the installation of non-Free Software on his system (install
time and updates over time), rather than a short-term goal of avoiding
the inclusion of non-Free Software in one particular spin.

You are largely ignoring the infrastructure around installation and upgrades of multiple kernels. There is more maintenance work than just in the kernel package (or packages, in your scenario) itself. It is not insignificant.

Josh Boyer wrote:
I certainly didn't think you intended to _replace_ the main kernel
package.  But I don't agree with even providing a completely different
alternative "kernel-libre" package.  If it can't be built as a flavor
of the existing kernel package, then I don't see it being approved for
inclusion.

And I'd still be against that. If the goal is allowing users to install and use a system without any of the non-free firmware (assuming that's even plausible for our hypothetical user), then you also need to change the package selection code in anaconda, among other things. As much as I wish it were, kernel* is not just another package.

--
  Peter