Re: Fedora project: making a website with Fedora-Free music

Hans de Goede wrote:
Today I've been discussing with upstream replacing some non free music with Free music, as I need to do often when packaging games (in this case Lost Labyrinth).

I have been thinking recently about how convenient it would be to have a website where one can browse all known Fedora-Free (as in can be part of Fedora under the content Licensing guidelines) music.

Free enough that we can use also as a soundtrack for screencasts (that's is, if someone likes game music as sountreact for his screencast)

The Fedora package collection already contains quite a bit of music. Some put in -music packages because its in ogg format and thus quite large, but also quite a few modtracker and midi format songs, which are much smaller and sometimes even hidden away in .wad / .dat files.

Thus I want to make a website with:
-Unpacked (as in click on it and it will play) versions of all music included in Fedora, sorted by format and license, and preferably also catogorised by
 genre.

-Links to other website which contain all Free, or clearly marked partially
 Free music.

 The first website which comes mind for the links section is the excellent:
 http://www.dogmazic.net/

Or like this http://ccmixter.org/ ?

So now I need 2 things
1) Free (as in gratis) hosting, with lots of diskspace and potentially quite
   some bandwidth usage.

2) Someone to help me build the website, the last time I've done php / html was
   in 1999 :)

How about using ccHost, the software used by (and made for) ccMixter? The problem is that it may need support for some file formats

1) Is the most urgent without 2 I'll just create a few folders like this:

   mod
   mod/GPL
   mod/CC-xx
   mod/CC-Nd-xx
   midi
   midi/GPL
   midi/CC-xx
   midi/CC-Nd-xx
   ogg
   ogg/GPL
   ogg/CC-xx
   ogg/CC-Nd-xx
   links
   links/index.html (good old html-1.0 list with links)

And use apache's dir listing as html generator :) I know this is crude, but it still beats not having any central place to checkout all the music already in Fedora at all by a long shot.