Re: Packaging Firefox extensions (Finnish spell checking)

On 05/24/2008 12:04 PM, Ville-Pekka Vainio wrote:
The Voikko project initially started as the hunspell-fi project, but hunspell was dropped for now, because using malaga <http://home.arcor.de/bjoern-beutel/malaga/> gives better results with the Finnish language. If you're interested, please read <http://voikko.sourceforge.net/architecture.html>.

Actually, that page says the malaga backend is worse than hunspell, lacking important items such as threadsafety and does not perform well in comparison. We already have a backend which we deem to be the right backend and it would be great if work could be moved there to help get hunspell in order.

One big decision maker was also the fact that someone called Hannu Väisänen maintains a big Finnish vocabulary known upstream as suomi-malaga, in Fedora packaged as malaga-suomi-voikko. This, as the name suggests, requires using malaga.

Right, this is the only reason that I can tell for using malaga. Someone did the work for malaga, but not for hunspell.

Voikko gives excellent results with the Finnish language currently, much better than any other free software implementations (myspell/ispell/aspell and hunspell, whose upstreams are practically non-existent currently). In my opinion Voikko is now working at least as well as the only proprietary Finnish spell checker for Linux I know, Soikko. So it's pretty much the best you can get.

Don't confuse the dictionary with the backend. So far I haven't seen a reason why the hunspell backend couldn't support Finnish as well as malaga if people would simply work on a dictionary for that backend instead. I think it is important to note our strong desire for making it work with hunspell. We went through great lengths to make hunspell THE dictionary. See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureDictionary which this would now regress.