Re: Fedora's vmlinuz broken with mkelfimage

Jerry Vonau wrote:

I downloaded and booted the kernel & initrd that you have linked to
using grub as the boot loader. The boot process doesn't show that
error(it's a kernel message), it finds that the initrd.img is an
initramfs and loads. mkelfimage is hardcoded for a 8 MB initial ramdisk
(it's in the man page), your initrd has an uncompressed size over that.
Perhaps you need to pass --ramdisk-base= to change the size in mkelfimage.

hope my 2 cents is useful,

*gasp*

I tried --ramdisk-base and it does indeed make it boot. I don't quite understand it because Ubuntu's initrd is definitely larger than 8MB as well.

I'm guessing 16MB is a safe number, because frees the memory after initrd?

Anyway, thanks very much.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx